Sunday, January 22, 2012

In the beginning...

So, I have never done a blog, nor really cared to, but a few things have happened in the last few months that I think should be documented in some way. I have no idea where it will go, but hang on and we will figure it out together. :)

I'll start out with a little background of how we are getting started. I have a cousin the same age as me. His name is Craig Jr. We were born six months apart. Somewhere along the line, we grew apart, but I always envied his life. My aunts and uncles were always into rebuilding hotrods. I always wanted to learn the craft and have fun with this type of hobby.

My uncle and cousin did this together over the years and I think the largest value was their relationship and father/son bond. I tell you this because my cousin battled cancer from the time of about 15 or 16. He fought it, and beat it over the years. Well, almost. The years took a toll on his body, and his heart gave out on January 2, 2012. A pretty big blow to an entire community of friends and family. I live in another state, and Craig and I haven't been close in years, but I will miss him just the same.

Now for the weird part.  In December, a neighbor of mine was selling me some garage-sale stuff from his garage and somehow we got to talking about his 68 mustang coupe that he had nesting in the garage. He told me a little of his story about the car, and I told him a little of my story. We talked about one day how I would love to restore an old car with my son for the bonding and learning experience, thinking it would be cool to hand him the keys when we are done... (already re-thinking this part).

He mentioned that he was thinking of "donating" it for a tax write-off or something because he lost interest and found a new hobby. Knowing that I had NO money, I told him if he decides to actually donate it, I would LOVE to try and buy it. He said he would think on that. I went about my business of the holidays...

Fast forward two weeks, he calls me, says come and get it out of the garage, he has plans and needs the room. We settled on a price and I hauled my trailer down the street and picked it up on December 31, 2011. Oh by the way... My 11yr old son is excited to say the least.

January 3rd we found out about the world's loss of Craig Jr. My son and I had been talking about a name for the car... He suggested that we name it "Junior"... I agreed... At the funeral, I told my cousin's sister about our little project and what my son had said. She then told me that this particular car was his favorite... Which I had no idea... I hope this project honors him and we have as much fun as him and his dad.

Wipe away the tears and off we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment